There are more than 4,300 colleges and universities in the United States. The first thing any student needs to do is decide what type of post-secondary institution they would like to attend. These institutions are all unique and offer a variety of programs for all students. Because of the plethora of universities available, it is not an easy task to summarize which characteristics are important, or what programs and services would be most valuable for you. Take concrete steps towards your future by starting your research as soon as possible knowing that your hard work will eventually pay off and the right university will be within your grasp. Keep in mind that you are unique, and that not every university which is considered “elite” or “big-name” will be right for you.
Steps to college search and planning - Should begin with some of the following steps:
Naviance Student will help guide your research and keep track of colleges you are interested in.
- A career survey- use our www.careercruising.com - passwords available in the College Career Center
- College search - www.collegeboard.org , www.bigfuture.collegeboard.org, www.actstudent.org, www.cappex.com,
- Use resources available in the College & Career Center
- Visit college websites
- Campus visits
- Visit www.fafsa.gov and www.finaid.org
- Begin a scholarship search- www.fastweb.com
- Know about financial aid, visit: Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at fafsa.gov
- Complete online college and scholarship applications where available