Use our Bridges Program- To Explore, Plan, Achieve
Choose to Create a new portfolio
Enter your required information
Including your Site ID and Password
Site ID: 0107801
Create a unique Portfolio
Name and Password
Returning Student Users:
Enter your Portfolio Name and Password
Portfolio Name: 0107801
Complete a Comprehensive Self Assessment
- What are your interests, skills and strengths?
- What are your favorite academic subjects?
- What areas do you need to improve in?
- What types of hobbies, activities, or projects bring you the most satisfaction?
- What type of work environment would you feel most comfortable working in?
- Do you like to work with others or independently?
- Are you most comfortable being the one in charge or do you prefer to follow directions?
- What types of circumstances do you find most stressful?
- Do you work better under a strict deadline or do you prefer a less structured environment?
- Do you function better early in the morning or later in the evening?
- What are your dreams and goals for the future? Where do you see yourself in ten years, twenty years?
- What are your values?
- What are your priorities: family, money, stability, fame, making a difference, traveling. etc?
- Is it important to have variety in your work?
- Is it important to have opportunities for career advancement?
- How do you define success?
- What type of lifestyle do you dream of having in the future?
Research Career Opportunities and Employment Trends
- Salary ranges
- Job responsibilities, duties, work environment
- Skills necessary for the field
- Pro and cons of each job/career
- Education and training requirements for specific jobs/careers
- Short term and long term occupation outlook
- Talk with people who are actually already in your field of interest
- Take elective courses to test out majors at your local community college
- Complete volunteer work in fields you may be interested in
- Consider a major and minor or a double major
- Get involved in clubs, organizations and sports to develop new skills and explore interests
- Find an internship to gain experience and help you choose future options
To help you with your self assessment, I would recommend the following resources:
- Visit the College Career Center – Start a Bridges account
- Use Major and Career reference materials available at the College Career Center
- Participate in Project Shadow and Career Opportunities Program available during the spring semester. Information will be disseminated through the school bulletin.